Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Being Bold

As a little girl, I was shy, but considering I grew up in a small town I lost the shyness as I got older.  That happens when 90% of the town knows your family.  I started going out to random camps on my own.  There I was pretty good at venturing out of my comfort zone and making friends.  Then came college, and I hung close to my high school friends for a while, but slowly I made friends with my honors business kids and sorority sisters and made some of my best friends.  After leaving college, I've become quite the recluse.  It's been really hard for me to make friends.

This weekend I branch out a bit and after living in my apartment complex for 11 months, I finally made an effort to get to know some of the other tenants.  I'm still the shy kid that is having issues including myself in conversations at the pool, but I'm working on it.  I want work on being bold and not being shy.  I'm 25, isn't that old enough to text a new friend to grab dinner?  Easier said than done, but I'm working on it.  I'm writing this out mainly to help push myself to do this.  Being a hermit isn't fun;  being around people is.

I may want to move away, but that shouldn't stop me from enjoying life here until I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment